Saturday, March 10, 2018

Not Want

"I shall not want."

This is getting downright personal. A "my" already exists, a claim: my shepherd. Now we have the capital letter skyscraper erection: I. I and my.

The reciter of this psalm (which includes you) is making another claim: the backbone spine of  me, the I, shall never go in want, will never be lacking for what the core spine needs.

You might want (desire) more than you are getting but you will not suffer want (lack of spiritual necessity.) You and your shepherd may disagree on this. You may want to take it to your local sheep union and see about going on strike. The shepherd will just stand there and look at you until those first two verses penetrate your thick skull once again: The lord is my shepherd. I shall not want.

The Source of all existence brings me into existence, supplies my every need, is in my favor.

"I shall not want."

No comments:

Post a Comment